Try these in order until problem is resolved:
- Refresh tab in browser (F5 on PC, Cmd+R on Mac)
- Close tab, click the link from the timetable page and re-enter the room again
- If not using Chrome, close other browser and log in using Chrome
- Check others on your connection are not using internet heavily (streaming, downloads, updates etc); ensure you are in the best position for WiFi strength.
- Check you have no large updates running on your PC or have too many other apps/ tabs open
- To refresh in the mobile app, close the app and re-enter the room
Camera, videochats, views
I cannot hear/see the speaker/presentation?
Try the quick fixes left/above.
I cannot see myself, my camera seems to not be on, how do I fix that?
In Chrome: click the padlock icon to the left of the URL address in your browser. In the drop-down box click the drop-downs next to camera and microphone and set to allow for both. Then hit refresh in your browser.
If these settings are already both set to allow, click the settings button (cog/gear icon) in the top right corner of your Shindig screen. In that white/green drop-down you can see which camera is selected. Use the drop-down arrow to ensure you have the correct/working camera selected.
How can I stop my video?
Click the settings button (cog/gear icon) in the top right corner of your Shindig screen and you will see your camera settings. Use the drop-down arrow to choose 'No camera – audio only'. Your image will go frosted and that is what everyone now sees of you.
Why are the camera and mic not working on my mobile device?
Mobile device cameras are paused in Shindig until needed, activating automatically if you go on stage or enter a video chat. When just listening in the audience you need not set anything - you are muted by default while in audience. Just ensure your phone volume is up and not on mute or vibrate etc, so you can hear the content. If content freezes or not displaying correctly, close the app and re-enter, but you will have a better experience if you can join on a computer.
How do I allow my camera and microphone on a mobile device?
On Android, go to your phone settings, choose apps and notifications, then click permissions, choose camera, scroll down to Shindig in the list and make sure slider is to the right (blue and on). Then tap back on the phone and tap on microphone, on the next screen scroll down to Shindig and make sure the slider is to the right and on (blue and on). Close the Shindig app, restart it and re-enter the room, then your camera and mic should be allowed in Shindig if you are brought on stage or in a video chat.
Why are some audience images blurred/frosted?
Some participant thumbnails are blurred because they either do not have a webcam, have not activated their webcam, are using the mobile app, or are on a very slow internet connection.
How do I find my friend/colleague?
Search for a person by click oning Participants in your toolbar at the bottom of your screen, hover your mouse over the thumbnails (their names appear) or type part of their name into the ‘Search’ box - which filters the thumbnails to show only those with that name.
How can I video chat with someone in the audience?
To video chat click on a participants floating thumbnail in the default view; or click Participants in your toolbar at the bottom of your screen, click once on a participant’s thumbnail and click on the ‘Video chat’ prompt then shown.
How do I exit/end a videochat?
To end a video chat click the ‘X’ in the upper right corner of the two video windows.
The audience icons floating around are distracting - how do I change that?
The audience thumbnails float around in the default view. There are two ways to change this:
- click the ‘Participants’ button in your toolbar to show the participant thumbnails in an orderly, fixed view - you can still see the stage area
- hover your mouse over the speaker/presentation podium on the ‘stage’ and click the button in the bottom right corner of the podium that says ‘full screen’ (when you hover over it). The floating thumbnails disappear and you just see the people/podiums on the stage. There is now a button in the lower right corner which enables you to toggle between ‘Full screen - Emphasis view’/‘Full screen - Equal view’ or leave full screen.
My view just changed by itself – why?
Panel administrators can change the view for everyone in the room. But, if you wish you can change your view again to your preference (see previous) - your changes do not affect other delegates (see above how to change view in audience).
Can I rearrange the icons myself? Is my icon obscuring my toolbar?
You cannot rearrange the icons and despite appearances, your own icon is not covering any toolbar buttons
Questions and text chat
How can I ask a question?
There are three ways to ask a question:
- For technical problems: ask a question via the group text chat box. Click the IM (chat) IM speech bubble icon on your toolbar and on the right side you’ll see ‘My Group Chat’ box. Type in your question/comment and all the admins including the conference volunteer will see and one should respond. (This is only visible to up to 30 people in ‘My Group Chat’.)
- For academic content questions and questions to speakers & convenors: please use the Ask question feature by clicking the ‘?’ icon on your toolbar and tpying in your question. Your question will be only seen by the admins initially. They will decide whether to answer you directly by text chat or to publish it on screen to the room and seek answers from the speakers or convenors.
- Raise your hand by clicking the ‘hand’ icon on your toolbar to indicate you wish to join the speaker on the stage to ask your question orally. The admins may contact you first by text chat to check if you wish to come onto the stage or if you have another query.
I cannot see the chat boxes/ options – how do I find them?
Click the ‘participants’ icon or speech bubble (chat) icon to see the chat box(es) on the right and participant thumbnails displayed on the left of your toolbar.
What are the yellow numbers next to the text bubble on my control panel?
The number indicates that you have text messages awaiting your attention, either in the group chat or in private chats (with other participants/admins).
How do I undock a chat window?
To undock the text chat windows click the undock widget button in the top right hand corner of any chat window (in the coloured header bar of each text chat box). Hovering your mouse over the widget says undock widget or undock tab. Click it once and the chat window moves out of your lower screen onto the top left of your Shindig screen. You can then drag and drop it anywhere on your screen. This allows you to monitor a text chat more easily as it is always on your screen even if you click other buttons on your toolbar. To dock it again, click the same button in the top right corner of the chat window header bar. It will dock and be out of sight until you click the participants/chat icons.
How do I add a third person (or more) to a text chat?
Once in a private chat, click the + icon in the chat header bar to add further colleagues from a list of those in the room.
How do I see who is in my group chat?
Click the Participants icon in your toolbar to see those listed on the left side under ‘My Group Chat’. There are up to 29 others in your group chat. Those beneath the heading ‘Other participants’ are not in your group chat but are in the Shindig/room.
Can I change who is in my group chat?
No, this is randomly assigned when you entered the room.
Privacy and leaving
What does the padlock icon do (locked/ unlocked)?
When your padlock is locked, you will receive a message if someone wants to video chat with you. If unlocked, you are connected into a video chat with another audience member automatically (no warning beforehand). We advise keeping the padlock locked.
If I have the padlock on (locked), can I still get text messages?
Yes, this just relates to prior warning of video chats.Text chats come through all the time.
Can I be heard in the audience?
No, all audience members are automatically muted on enter the room. Only if you go on stage will you be unmuted/heard.
Can I go on stage without an open podium being available?
You can only go on stage if there is an open podium available or if the administrators bring you (spotlight) on stage. Use the question function and/or raised hand to indicate your wish to go on stage to ask your question.
How secure is Shindig?
Shindigs can be restricted to just paid-up conference delegates. Only one entry per email address is allowed, so the Shindig link cannot be shared with others. Some meetings/events at the conference will be open access.
How do I leave/move to another room?
To exit the room just close your Shindig browser tab. Then open/return to the conference timetable page, find the event/panel you wish to attend and click on the link. Keep the timetable page open in another browser tab so you can easily move between Shindigs/rooms.
What do I do if I end up in the wrong room/event?
Close the tab to leave the room and refer to the timetable page again, selecting the correct room to enter.