SPA2021 policy on privacy and audiovisual recording of conference content
Regular panels will be recorded and made available initially to delegates and later to the wider public, unless you opt out (see below); plenaries will be recorded and made available to the wider public.
AV recordings of the panels/sessions and conference content WILL BE RECORDED BY DEFAULT by the conference organisers but others may not record content (using external software/hardware).
Live streaming of parts of the conference to a platform outside of Shindig MAY TAKE PLACE by the conference organisers but others may not record content (using external software/hardware).
- On request of the Board: e.g. to NOT record a keynote Speaker.
- On request of a Panel Convenor e.g. to NOT record their panel sessions.
In such cases the Board or Panel Convenor(s) must provide NomadIT with the following information ahead of the conference for their records:
- Why the session is NOT to be recorded/live streamed.
- Which panel/sessions/presentations they wish NOT to be recorded? (These will be marked in the panel explorer so attendees can see that this session is NOT being recorded.)
The accountable person has the responsibility to obtain informed consent before the start of the conference from presenters/panelists to record their presentations in Shindig. They must provide clear answers to the following:
- Conference content is being recorded so delegates can see content they were unable to attend live.
- The recording will be posted within the panel explorer and conference website.
- The following Creative Commons licence will be applied (licences stipulate what others are allowed to do with the recording once posted online).
- Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International licence: the recording can only be shared in its original form (i.e. others cannot not take sections of the recording and create and distribute an altered form of the work) and is used for non-commercial purposes only.
- If a presenter opts-out will they still be filmed and edited out later.
The conference organisers will inform all delegates by email prior to the event that the content will be recorded/live streamed, inviting anyone who wishes to opt-out from being recorded to contact them.
Each session/panel convenor/organiser is responsible for informing audience members (verbally and in the chat function of Shindig at the beginning of the session and periodically).
- That the panel is being filmed/live streamed.
- That the recording will be embedded on the SPA website.
- That the conference organiser is the accountable person.
- That delegates can opt-out by contacting the accountable person and clearly explain that opting-out means that while they will be recorded if they ask a question they will be edited-out of the final version for dissemination.
However when live-streaming it is not technically straightforward to facilitate opting-out. Anyone who does not wish to appear should be instructed to turn off their webcam and if asking a question, to do so via the text box, as opposed to coming on stage.
The accountable person is responsible for post-production editing to ensure that any audience member or panelist/presenter who wished not to be included in the film be edited out before dissemination (e.g. posting online).