Click on a panel/paper star to add/remove this to your individual schedule.
You need to be logged in to avail of this functionality, and to see the links to virtual rooms. Log in
This panel maps nomadic geographies and territories to re-interpret the meaning of place and home. Papers present ethnographies analyzing how material and immaterial creative practices stitch together distances, mend spatial ruptures and route new spatial-emo-haptic-sensorial correspondences.
Nomadic geographies looks at changing conceptions of territorial spaces and creative practices of adaptation, re-emplacement and re-representation. Territories are spatial-temporal imaginaries in which peoples and things correspond, move, navigate, interact, and are remembered. Human geographies cannot be fixed by impermeable borders, nor can places of origin be reduced to fixed temporal points. Places combine the imagined and the yearned-for. Places move with people weaving interconnected geographies. Places also shift through the making and circulation of things. Places and these representations, can navigate, penetrate and transform other places, peoples and things. We are interested in ethnographies mapping nomadic human geographies and creative performative agency. Narratives are welcomed sharing stories and analysis of forced or chosen displacement and dispersement.
According to this idea, the panel's two sessions will focus on three themes:
1. SPACE, TERRITORY, MIGRATION
• How are practices intrinsic to one place maintained through alteration in another?
• How can sacred spaces or pilgrimage paths be sustained within changing political and bio-ecological geographies?
2. AESTETHICS, ART, PERFORMANCE, RITUAL
• How do sensorial and performative practices, such as, craft or creative and/or religious rituals reconfigure human geographies?
3. ANTHROPOLOGY OF HOME, ALTERED LANDSCAPES
• How might we then approach an anthropology of home?
• How do people reconfigure cultural ecologically-based practices within drastically altered ecological or cultural landscapes?