Please note that this is a preliminary timetable and subject to change. Panel timetable will be published in the end of April.
- 09:00-16:00Council meeting 1 (closed)
- 09:00-16:00Council meeting 2 (closed)
- 13:30-16:30Reception desk open
- 16:30-17:00Welcoming remarks
- 17:00-18:00Keynote: Eiji Oguma (Keio University)
Oguma is a historical sociologist at Keio University and an expert of the history of ideas in postwar Japan, as well as on current transnational social movements and activism.
Read more at Keio University.
At eajs2021 conference professor Eiji Oguma will be giving the keynote lecture A Reflection on the History of Racial and Ethnic Identities in Japan (click on the title to read the abstract).
- 18:30-20:00Opening reception
- 09:00-10:30Panel session I
- 11:00-12:30Panel session II
- 14:00-15:30Panel session III
- 16:00-17:30Panel session IV
- 17:30-19:00JAWS business meeting
- 17:30-19:00AJE assembly
- 09:00-10:30Panel session V
- 11:00-12:30Panel session VI
- 14:00-15:30Panel session VII
- 16:00-17:30Panel session VIII
- 20:00-22:00Gala dinner
- 09:00-10:30Panel session IX
- 11:00-12:30Panel session X
- 13:00-14:00Publishing in Japanese Studies Journals
This lunchtime session, primarily aimed at early career researchers and first-time authors, will be an opportunity for attendees to get to know some of the academic journals in their field and have their questions about the publishing process answered. The roundtable will be composed of the editors of several leading Japanese Studies journals. Each discussant will briefly introduce their journal and explain what they are looking for in a submission, after which the session will be opened to the floor for questions and answers.
The editors participating will be:
Isaac Gagne, Contemporary Japan
Bettina Gramlich-Oka, Monumenta Nipponica
Janet Hunter, Journal of Japanese Studies
Bill Mihalopolous and Laurence Green, Japan Forum
Gregory Noble, Social Science Japan Journal
- 14:00-15:30Panel session XI
- 16:00-17:30EAJS General meeting
- 20:00-22:30Party, etc